January 23, 2013

Drugs, Sex, and Rock and Roll, or the European Equivelant.

Journal entry torn from December 22, 2012

"It's only my third day and already I've tasted more alcohol, inhaled more cigarette smoke, and I've been higher than I have in my whole life. Of course this is because I tasted alcohol for the first time. I unknowingly ate cake that was made with some. Apparently the best Black Forest Cake in the Black Forest can be found at Schmidt Cafe. I thought for sure I could handle the cake side of German culture. I couldn't even finish half of the piece of cake, because I felt so incredibly sick and it tasted so incredible awful. It felt like there was a large amount of acid in my stomach, and the after taste, I assure you, did not go away for a very long time. I know I was pretty adamant before about not drinking, but this has definitely reaffirmed that decision. As for the cigarette smoke, it seems like almost every person here smokes, and all over the place. In the train station, at all of the tram stops, EVERYWHERE. The second hand smoke has probably take a year off of my life. That's not to say I'm not enjoying myself. I say "higher" because it's quite mountanious over here, and I'm pretty sure my longest flight reached 38000 feet. I've also been quite high on excitment. I'm not exactly sure what I have planned for the remainer of the trip, but I know that Christmas will be fun, and my birthday, because even walking, and staying up late is more fun in a foreign country.

-A more worldly Annie"

Thank goodness for great friends who will finish your cake when you think it tastes icky. And thank goodness for friends who will order you a chocolate covered ginger cookie in German to make up for a terrible cake experience. There was one thing that I really enjoyed about the cafe: there was no rush. Once your food was finished you were welcome to stay as long as you'd like. There was no rushing, no waitress hovering with the bill, and this cafe even had a free washroom. Imagine that!

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

The famous cafe
Looks delicious! (Looks can be deceiving!)
 Kaly is a trooper!
(yes my piece of cake was the lucky one with the cherry pit)
My cookie!!!! mmmmmmm

2 comments:

  1. good food is hard to find ... good friends are even harder to find :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the smoke... my life has probably been shortened, too. Smoking inside is allowed in China and it's gross. Oh well, not much I can do.

    ReplyDelete