March 5, 2013

Motivation Makes a Masterpiece

I don't think that practice can ever make something "perfect", but I am a big believer that motivation matters. No matter what I'm doing I know that the reason I'm doing it is important. This has become evident in my life in the past 4 years and especially in the previous four months.

I have given four solid attempts in my life to learn how to crochet. It's difficult! I could never get the hang of it, but you know that moment in a classroom when a lightbulb finally lights up over the head of a student and the student gets it? Well that was me in November. My friend Rebecca showed me the basics of crocheting, and I got it. I "got" it enough to get by, I made countless little, tiny hearts, and then I made many little monsters, and eventually I tried my hand at making a bunny. It wasn't until I started giving away my projects and started making things with people in mind that my little skill started to take off. I started being able to look at a pattern and understand every stitch, and eventually I was able to start creating my own patterns.
My first project beside my most recent project. 
I had a similar experience with music. I never used to have an adequate singing voice, and my piano and guitar skills were...(prepare for a music pun) minor at best. As I started using my "super powers" for good, instead of evil (or selfish reasons) I started noticing a change. I opened myself up to being a member of my church's worship team. The more I shared the gifts I had been given, and the more I exercised them and helped build them up in others, the more strength I had behind my skills.

I hid my gifts, and what good are gifts if they're not given? You wouldn't make and wrap gifts for others and store them in your closet forever, so why is it we sometimes do this with spiritual gifts? For me, bravery was a big part of it. I was so scared that I wasn't good enough. The truth is...I wasn't good enough, but with God behind it, and with love as my motivation, my skills became more than good enough.

This week I encourage you to recognize and reflect on your super powers and to think about just how you can use them for good.


P.S. Don't tell the ladies, but I've got a bunch of pin cushions to donate to the annual quilt show!

1 comment:

  1. oh Annie I luv your crocheting :) I am the proud owner of the bunny, robin and the cutest owl ever ! I can only crochet a square.

    ReplyDelete