February 6, 2013

SUR-PRIZE!

For those who do not know: I really, really, really, really like surprises, like a lot. I like surprising people AND I like being surprised. I like that feeling of anticipation when someone is about to experience a secret surprise I have given them, whether it is a random note of encouragement, or even a surprise visit! My life has been very surprise filled lately, and it continues to be so.

Two weekends ago I arranged a surprise trip home for the weekend. My mom and my grandparents AND my church family were ALL surprised.


Yesterday I received a supercool notebook in the mail. 
It combines six of my favourite things: 
notebooks,
crocheting,
puns,
homemade items from Etsy,
mail,
and SURPRISES.

I think the thing I enjoyed most of all was the anonymity. Not knowing who sent a gift gives me these butterflies in my stomach that tell me that I am loved. I am loved by someone, somewhere in the world, who cares enough to send me a personalized gift. How cool is that?!?



After an exhausting week of leading a Bible Day Camp this summer, I checked my church mailbox and found this anonymous note. It has been pinned up on my wall ever since. I wasn't running the camp for a reward, but this tiny piece of encouragement was the best thing I could have received. Even writing about it brings a few tears. 

Surprises and Encouragement are reciprocal acts of kindness. I learned this through the letters of encouragement I sent anonymously to an old friend who was on a longish-term mission adventure two years ago. I unintentionally ended up being changed by the words I wrote to her. 

I know that I still have some surprises to receive. I have no idea where I'll be working this summer, what school I will be attending next year, or where I'll be living in seven months. I'm choosing to look at these as surprises, not stresses, and I hope you do too!  

I have titled this post "Sur-Prize" because I think that random acts of kindness, and encouragement are really the prizes that are over and above all the rest. I'll leave you with a bible verse that I usually sign at the end of notes and letters.
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up,
just as in fact you are doing" (1 Thessalonians 5:11). 

4 comments:

  1. I received a surprise note of encouragement from Annie when she was a student in my grade 12 English class - it was very much appreciated. I came across it last summer - yes I keep everything - and it brought tears to my eyes again. I have kept the note.

    Annie, you are an amazing and inspiring person to know. I'm glad our paths crossed and hope they will again in the future.

    Tracey Rogers
    NKEC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I luved that you surprised me !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, you are definitely loved by people around the world! And as someone who has been surprised by you many times, I can say that you deserve every wonderful thing that comes your way. You brighten everyone's day!

    ReplyDelete