September 19, 2012

The Harvest is Plenty....of Fun.

A certain city in New Brunswick plays host to a music festival every September. This year the opportunity came up, and for the first time, I experienced some of the harvest Jazz and Blues Festival. This was all made possible by a relatively new friend of mine. I found out that she was looking for someone to accompany her Friday night to the Barracks Tent. I was excited to be crossing this particular item off of my bucket list. Although it had a strong "bar-like" feeling, I found that I didn't have to appreciate the environment to enjoy some great music. It even turned out that my friend was crossing the same item off of her bucket list! It was one of those moments that I believe C.S. Lewis describes best, "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." 

It was also pretty cool  to see one of my past professors up on stage with a trombone in her face, producing some great tunes. Now that it is over, I wish that I could have taken in more of the festival, but then again, I kind of did in a way. The city spirit made it seem as if I really was a part of the festival. Almost every business downtown decorates for the event, promotes the event, and supports it. (This was not so convenient as a first year walking by shop windows and thinking that there were a dozen or so stores that sold brass instruments...) The city spirit gives me hope, because if the city can work together so easily, and get excited about a festival, imagine what it can do with something even bigger! Dear City, let's come together for a greater purpose more often, because it really is quite fun.


1 comment: