June 15, 2012

Not so "Happy Feet"

As a shorter human being I find sitting in restaurants difficult. The chairs are uncomfortable, and if I sit in a booth I am unable to easily reach the floor OR the table. Two days ago after work I picked up a friend from school and went to Tim Hortons to help her study for her math exam. I'm not terribly good at math, but I had a free afternoon and I like to encourage and spend time with people, so that is what I did. While at Tim Hortons I ordered a Lemonade to try, and 2 chocolate-dipped doughnuts with sprinkles. I sat down at a booth and prepared to get my math on. 

20 minutes into my visit the assistant manager came out from the back room and stood at the cash and waved at me. So... I waved back. My first thought was that she recognized me, but her waving became agressive, it looked like she was shooing me. I was confused so I just looked away. Then, from across the restaurant she yelled in a demeaning tone: "GET YOUR FEET DOWN!" I reacted right away and apologized. You see, I had my knees bent and my feet up to the side of me. The benches were not made of a soft material they were a plastic based fabric, and I wasn't doing anything to harm them. I was extremely embarrassed, and quite offended. I do not believe she went about confronting me the correct way, she could have very easily come over to our table. I had the urge to get up and leave, but I stayed, because I was not there for my own pleasure, I was there to help a friend. I was hurt, I am a sensitive person, and I still do not believe I was doing anything wrong. 

After she yelled at me I kept thinking, man she should see the ways I sit at church! This made me giggle, and calm down. Sometimes I'll sit with my knees to my chest and have my feet completely on my chair! I'm just glad that my pastor doesn't yell across the sanctuary for me to get my feet down, in the middle of a sermon. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Annie, I'm sorry this happened. I had a similar experience at a different restaurant and it was definitely embarrassing. I wish everyone would remember, "Do unto others..."

    ReplyDelete