May 21, 2012

Move it to Morning

I love mornings!

One of my goals for 2012 was to read scripture each day, I haven't slipped up yet, but I have made an observation. For me, it matters "when". In the past month I found myself treading carrying out this daily goal and I've finally pinned down why. Instead of reading as soon as I woke up, I left the text until right before I settled in for the night. It became a chore instead of a lifestyle. Instead of being able to reflect all day on what I read that morning, I had to cram a lot of words into my brain before quickly drifting to sleep. I still journal every night, and write about my day, but I've moved my reading time to morning. If I find myself running late, I'll read it at the gym, but I've made sure to look at it as part of a lifestyle instead of a chore that must be checked off. By changing the time and my definition of my daily routine, I am seeing myself being slowly transformed. 

Timing really is key.

So if you've got a task that becomes a chore because of where it is in your schedule, why not move it to a different time in your day? You can spend the whole day knowing you've already accomplished something, and if you're not a morning person, why not move it to evening? Either way, your task will become more of a lifestyle habit and less of a dreaded chore to check off.

No comments:

Post a Comment