May 29, 2012

Level Up!

Our solutions often fail, because what we are fixing isn't a problem at all.
That's what I learned this week.


When a mechanic asks you to describe the problem you are having with your car, you're not going to answer "red". The question is not what color the car is, so the answer "red" is neither helpful, nor efficient. It is really important to ask the right question in order to get the right answer. This goes for small, and significant things in life.

This past Sunday I was spending some time in the sound booth at my church. Please know that I am in no way a sound techie, I was just visiting the people there and while I was there, it seemed that the piano line was not coming through the speakers or the monitors. The techie there was trying all of the complicated knobs and raising the levels, but nothing seemed to work. I looked over and noticed that the piano line was muted.

Before we try to solve a major issue, let's make sure we're not overcomplicating things. Take a step back. There just might be a red blinking light to let us know that we just have to do one simple thing for everything to work out fine. 

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." -John Dewey




No comments:

Post a Comment