April 15, 2012

"Red" & "Fancy"

"Own Red Shoes"
&
"Buy Fancy Shoes from a Fancy Shoe Store"


This is a goal that I haven't felt "called" to complete, but it is something I've always wanted to do. There are three ladies in my life that really inspire me, and they both wear really nice shoes. Nice shoes have no materialistic value to me, but each pair of shoes I own has a great memory attached, and symbolizes a relationship. Let's take a minute to talk about shoes. 


I recently retired my light-up Lightening McQueen shoes, because the left shoe no longer lit up. These shoes were tied to my memory of one of the first time I opened up to my university church family. 

My lime green chucks I purchased while visiting friends last May, and they remind me of graduations, and Spring Fourth, and sunny walks downtown. My pink chucks were a big surprise from my roommate who brought them back to me while she was on a trip. 

The plaid sneakers I own, are my most favourite shoes! I bought them while at SoulFest. It was the last mission trip that I participated in with my first youth pastor, and the first trip I experienced as a leader. They also remind me of a defining moment in my friendship with my music friend at university. I walked into class one day and she complimented me on my shoes and when I gazed at her feet I noticed that we had matching shoes! Compliments, especially from acquaintances and strangers mean a whole heck of a lot.

Once upon a time ago I watched a video about a girl who went to an evening youth service and as a part of the service there were small children from South Africa sharing their stories and how they never have shoes. At the end of the service there was a shoe collection, where if you felt comfortable (or I guess in this case uncomfortable enough to feel moved)to donate your shoes you could leave them at the door before you left. The girl in the video had worn her favourite red shoes to church and went through weighing the pros and cons, but remembered that she had access to more than one pair of shoes, and so she left her shoes at the door. This story moved me and some day I hope to attend a service that asks this of the participants. 


So now when I wear my new red shoes I will think of three of the women who inspire me, and I will also feel accomplished. I will think of my fabulous friend who has many beautiful pairs of high heels, (and when I say fabulous, I really do mean fabulous!). I will also think of one of my favourite professors, she always wears red shoes, whether red boots, red sandals, or red fancy shoes. She is one of the kindest and silliest females I have ever met. I will also think of one of my best friends, who would always accidentally (and coincidentally) wear her noisy red boots on days we would end up having to do research in the silent library. 

                So seeing as the sun is super bright today, 
                      why don't we all compliment one another....
                             and maybe throw on a pair of nice shoes :)

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh, very pretty shoes! Add some sparkles and you're Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. :)

    ReplyDelete