October 30, 2012

Perry Pumpkin

I spent the evening carving a pumpkin. I put the stencil on, marked it, and then started carving. When I was done I was pretty happy with my jack-o-lantern, but what I noticed is that it didn't look very different from when it was just a normal pumpkin. What I mean, is that it looked a bit different up close, but from far away there really wasn't much of a difference. Even with a lit candle inside, there didn't seem to be any distinguishing feature making the pumpkin stand out. Then we turned the lights off. The difference showed through in the darkness. The light inside was so bright that it reflected the image. 

I think we might be a bit like pumpkins. We all look the same, but when the "darkness" comes, the light inside us shines brighter than ever. Our light shines through when we deal with conflict. Our light shines through when we face loss, and our light shines through in our responses to everyday experiences. It wasn't until my jack-o-lantern's light was shining in the darkness that I could clearly see just how beautiful my Perry was. Sometimes we find out the most about ourselves when our light is witnessed shining. We are called to be the light of the world, so why let our lights shine!

The whole time, I, the creator, knew exactly how I wanted my pumpkin to turn out,
before it became a Jack-o-lantern I had the pumpkin's plan thought up.
 This is the creator, having faith in the work of art,
and knowing that it will become more beautiful over time. 

Whether looking at a larger scale or a smaller scale, I think that all creation in someway reflects the creator. My jack-o-lantern reflects me, because of my adoration for Phineas and Ferb...and Perry.

This is the pumpkin, beautifully and wonderfully made. 



4 comments:

  1. You, as is your Perry very special. Though Perry doesn't speak much, when he does it is very wise. I love reading your blogs because it makes me think :)! And also to look at the world a little differently! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so great with writing ! You make me very proud ! Great carving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Anonymous and Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great words of wisdom and a great pumpkin too. Now to put your words into practice and maybe to even eat the pumpkin pie.

    ReplyDelete