March 17, 2012

Today's Beginnings


Today began with happiness,
“Oh Happiness” to be exact, brought to me by the David Crowder Band via my alarm clock. It’s always a good idea to wake up happy, especially if it is before 8:00am, which today was. Today also began with a few sets of Sun Rises and Sun Sets, my happy morning exercise routine that involves putting my hands together and stretching towards the sky and lowering my clasped hands. 

Most importantly, today began with inspiration! I had the opportunity to attend a few of the presentations being held at the Annual Atlantic Undergraduate English Conference. The presentation that interested me the most was the one on Ami Mckay’s first book, “The Birth House”. I’ve read this book more than a few times, and so have most members of my family, and many of my friends. I am so inspired by this author, because she is a reminder that authors are real people. As a once-upon-a-time neighbour of mine, it is an incredible feeling to walk through bookstores and see her work and run my fingers over the (not in best condition) copy of the book I own. The most amazing thing so far was to attend a conference where undergrads are presenting papers on authors that very commonly studied (Pound, Tolken, etc), and to hear this young female present new ideas on a book I have invested a large part of my life into. Out of all books she could have chosen to read, let alone present, she chose the one that speaks of real places where I’ve been, and the author to whom I've known.

google images
Today began with reality. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in my own little world that the big picture becomes dim. Although “The Birth House” is my book, on my book shelf, by an author that lived by my house, it is more than that, much more in fact. It is a book that thousands of people consider their own; that is the power of literature. Today began with literature coming alive.  Authors are living people like you, and like me. We all have the power of a pen at our fingertips. So with this I have added a new beginning to my life list: “Begin Writing a Book”. 

How Did Your Day Begin?

1 comment:

  1. Again, I am amazed at the quality of your writing. If you write a book, I am sure it would be a great read!

    I haven't read The Birth House yet, but I gave it to my mom for Christmas and am hoping to borrow it.

    ReplyDelete